Sunday, May 3, 2009

Food (and other) shopping trip

We did a BJ's run today. Usually our BJ's runs are boring. Diapers, Cat Litter, Coke Zero, Cereal, and we're out of there. But today we decided that we were going to look for some good food bargains and set me up for making a few freezer meals (I'm going to be going to Dinner Zen with a friend later in the month so I am not doing a full month's worth of cooking at home this month!)

Well, our impetus for this was that we figured pork would be cheap right now (because people are stupid) and boy were we right. So I have a pack of twelve pork chops which are mostly going to become baked pork chops with peppers, onions, and tomatoes. They also had our center-cut bacon, which we usually buy at Safeway for $5/pack. BJ's had them for $10 for a 3-pack so we picked that up, too. Nearby there was some chicken, which probably ended up costing us slightly less than Safeway prices, though I will have to go back and check. 12 boneless, skinless chicken breasts will become mostly mango curry chicken, another freezer meal. We also managed to get some of the other ingredients (onions, peppers, canned tomatoes) fairly cheaply, and I felt like it was a good way to spend much of a rainy afternoon.

We also got diapers. In fact, someone left a $5 coupon for our brand of diapers in the cart that we ended up with, so that was even more of a win! They also had my brand of Orange Juice for about 2/3 of what we regularly pay (I hate orange juice, unless I'm pregnant. Don't ask me why but it's true).  I suspect some of that orange juice might become orange cranberry muffins, since I am still sitting on 1/2 of a giant bag of cranberries in my freezer as well. 

Speaking of which, my freezer is getting filled again, and I haven't even cooked for the month! I must figure something out! My kid loves perogies so I bought a giant bag of them also. I've taken everything out of boxes where possible to save room as well. I think we might just have to come down to buying less ice cream and packaging more in bags and less in casseroles. Or I'm just going to have to get a deep freezer. 

So anyway, my original OAMC plan was changed thanks to Dinner Zen having a fantastic menu this month, but it's all good. I'm getting some done, plus we still have stew, soup, and a baked ziti in the freezer from April. And I really can't wait to try some of the new recipes we'll get!


No comments:

Post a Comment