Thursday, May 28, 2009

Another Husband Travel Week

I tend to dislike Husband Travel Weeks, not just because I'm home with a toddler without a break, but also because cooking is pretty much cooking-for-one-and-a-half. Let's face it, cooking when single wasn't so much fun, and cooking for one plus a toddler isn't much better. 

We did something of a large staple-shop right before he left, so at least I have some options. This week, thanks to the holiday on Monday, he is gone from Tuesday through Friday. That leaves 4 days of breakfast and lunch and 3 days of dinners for me and the kiddo.

Day 1 was pretty easy. Breakfast was fruit and milk. Then we joined a friend for lunch at McD's (I know, so unhealthy but we were out and it was there). For dinner we had leftover salmon fajitas. Done.

Yesterday, repeat breakfast (the kid likes fruit & milk), and we met another friend for pho at lunchtime. So much for saving money, but truthfully, pho and a spring roll is probably as costly as a meal at McD's. Last night, I had planned to make tacos. They are pretty simple to make, after all, but we had already had fajitas two nights in a row. Instead, I got ambitious and made meatballs.

Now you might not think that meatballs are ambitious. But I'm really not supposed to work very hard right now. Browning meat for tacos? Simple. Mixing/rolling/baking meatballs takes a lot more effort. I may not be on bed rest, but I'm also really supposed to be taking it easy. The only reason we were out of the house at all was for doctor appointments. 

We had gotten 2 pounds of ground beef, and since I had it out, I browned 1 lb of the meat with taco seasonings (we'll eat it tonight). With the rest, I made 16 medium-sized meatballs. The good thing is that between the two of us we ate 5, so there are now 11 in the freezer for next time! I'm fairly certain we'll use about 1/3 of the taco meat tonight, so that's even more for saving in the freezer. 

In the end, I was very tired. But our pasta and meatballs were delicious, we have 11 meatballs in the freezer, and we have enough taco meat for 3 meals without the Husband. And tonight I get to not work so hard on dinner, so that's a win.

Also, the meatballs were delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment