Saturday, May 2, 2009

Easy Dinner: Trader Joe's Korma Simmer Sauce

We were wandering around Trader Joe's today and I thought to pick up their Korma Simmer Sauce. I am often wary of such sauces as they tend to have peanut ingredients, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that this sauce was made with almond butter instead! Fantastic!

After tossing it in my cart, I noticed that they were actually sampling the product in the store! I gave it a taste and decided it would be dinner.

Now, according to the package, you use it by pan-frying some chicken, adding the sauce and a cup of water, warming through, and serving over basmati rice. We decided that this presented a lack of vegetables. So here is what I did instead:

Prepare basmati rice according to package directions (I also added a small amount of bullion and 2 pinches of saffron)

In a handy Pampered Chef Covered Baker, throw in 2 chopped stalks of celery, 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen), and about 1/3 of a bag of frozen tri-colored pepper strips. Microwave covered for 10 minutes. Remove from microwave, chop chicken, return to baker. Add the whole jar of sauce and a little less than a cup of water (there was already be liquid at the bottom of the baker, so I estimated how much water was needed to bring it up to one cup total in addition to the sauce) Return to microwave and cook for 5 more minutes. Serve over rice. 

It was extremely good. In all it took less than 20 minutes to prepare and that is because the chicken was frozen. We are all quite full right now and expect to try this again on a busy weekday evening some time. Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment