Thursday, January 21, 2010

Chicken and Chickpea Stew

My husband is out of town today, so I got to cook with legumes! On the menu, Crockpot Chicken and Chickpeas, a recipe that I got from the internet here.

I, of course, rearranged the recipe to make it my own. It was fantastic, and enjoyed by both me and the small boy.

Chicken and Couscous Stew
3 four-oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of any fat and cut into bite-sized pieces
2 carrots, sliced
1 large onion, sliced thinly
20 oz can of chick peas, rinsed and drained
15 oz can of diced tomatoes (with liquid)
4 cloves garlic, pressed through a garlic press
1t paprika (I used Hot Hungarian Paprika but you can use sweet if you object or can't get it)
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 t turmeric
1/2 t salt

Throw everything into the crock pot and mix well to distribute spices. Cook on high for 3 hours and low for 1 hour, then on warm until it's time to eat. If you have more time than that you can keep it on low for 6 hours.

I ran this through the weight watchers recipe builder. Based on 4 servings, this comes to a whopping 5 points per serving. One serving was plenty for a hearty dinner when served with whole wheat couscous (1 cup = 3 points) for an 8-point meal.

Although I hate when my husband is out of town, it was a nice chance to try a new recipe and eat something that we can't normally have when he is home! My house smelled amazing while it was cooking, and it was quite tasty, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment