Sunday, June 7, 2009

Strawberry Madness

Today was a day of strawberry madness.

Madness I say!

Yesterday, knowing that it was most likely the last week for strawberries at our farmer's market, we did a crazy thing--we bought a flat (8 quarts) of strawberry seconds, advertised as "for jam" along with 1/2 a flat (we shared a flat with a friend) of "firsts."

So today, the most important thing that had to happen was we had to process the seconds before they rotted away. I found an awesome recipe for strawberry rhubarb pie, so I started there. Oh yes, I bought 6 giant stalks of rhubarb too.


I went though 2 quarts of strawberries, tossing the very bad ones, cutting out the bad parts of others, and simply de-stemming the rest. In the end I had the 4 cups of strawberries needed for my pie recipe. 2 stalks of rhubarb were cut up and added, and Pie was had. It was excellent. Oh and I used Pillsbury crust because I do not make pie crust under any circumstances. Not since the cherry pie incident of 1994. Just don't ask.

Once we decided that the pie was SO GOOD, we decided to put together freezer bags with strawberries and rhubarb, processed and ready to be made into pies! So Adam helped me because it is kind of dull work. We went through several more quarts of seconds and ended up with 2 freezer bags filled with sliced strawberries and rhubarb, for pies, and 2 smaller freezer bags filled with unsliced strawberries with no stems and bad parts cut out. We are going to thank ourselves later in the summer when we want strawberry pie and can have it! 

Meanwhile, there are 4 quarts of fresh delicious strawberries still in the fridge. These will become:

1) strawberry salad, of course
2) strawberry shortcake
3) (as my son would say): "strawberries in a bowl!"

Believe me, they will be eaten. 

No comments:

Post a Comment