Saturday, April 11, 2009

Once A Month Cooking--Modified

The fact is, I have a wretched freezer. There is no way I could ever fit a month's worth of meals into my side-by-side, and I probably wouldn't want to either! For example, I don't much see the point in pre-cooking breakfast. An egg takes all of two minutes to cook, and I can make a breakfast burrito for myself in five. No reason, really, to have them in the freezer for a 2-minute microwaving. We eat waffles or pancakes on the weekends, and they are my husband's joy to prepare! 

I'm still working out exactly what I want to have in the freezer at the beginning of each month, but one thing I do know is that there are plenty of days when I really want to cook! So my OAMC gets modified. 

On my last cooking day, I made 15 meals, which is distinctly NOT a month's worth of dinners.  We're just over a third of the way through the month of April, and we're left with seven of those meals. Obviously I'll be doing some extra cooking between now and my next big cooking day. 

What I had planned to do, and it seems to be working, is to make a double batch of anything that I make that is nicely freezable. Last night, we were at Safeway buying food for Easter, and we noticed that tilapia was on mega sale ($3.99/lb). So for Good Friday, I bought 6 filets and a bunch of peppers and made tilapia pepper foil packets. We prepped all six, immediately froze three of them, and baked the other three. Voila! Another meal added to the stash for later in the month!  Oh, and it was so good, it will definitely be added to my regular OAMC regimen--that said, if I see tilapia on sale again, I'll skip waiting for the end of the month and just buy  and make them when I can!

Now, if I can figure out what I can do with all of the ham leftovers, we'll be golden. Anyone have a great recipe?

Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment