Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Breakfast

I haven't been blogging much this week, thanks to Easter, Baseball Opening Day, taxes, and a sick cat. But I wanted to share my breakfast because it's so easy, fast, and filling that it just has to be shared.

I've read a lot about people doing breakfast burritos as part of once a month cooking. Because of my incredibly small freezer, I don't have room to store breakfast when, really, breakfast can be a 5-minute prep. Follow along and see how I make a yummy breakfast burrito in under 5 minutes.

For each breakfast burrito you'll need
1 flour tortilla
1 egg
some beans (optional--I open a can and store the leftovers in the fridge in a rubbermaid so they are ready to go)
some salsa (also optional)
some hot sauce (still optional)
leftovers that you think will taste good in your burrito (I have been using spanish rice that I made last week)
shredded mexican cheese (I have this in the house as a matter of course)

OK, ready?

On a microwave safe plate, place a tortilla. Add beans, salsa, and whatever leftovers you're using. Top with cheese. Microwave on high for 1 minute. While it's microwaving, fry or scramble an egg in a pan on the stove. When the microwave beeps, take out the plate, and your egg should be nearly done. Add the egg, spritz on some hot sauce, wrap that puppy up and eat.

OK, now let's say you're making more than one. You might have a kid who will eat a breakfast burrito. Or you could make them for a whole family.

Here's how you prep for multiple breakfast burritos in under 5 minutes:

Beans and any extras you are using go in a microwave safe bowl and nuke for 1 minute
Take all of the tortillas you're using, place between 2 damp paper towels, and nuke for 30 seconds.
Make your eggs.
Assemble and eat.

Oh and if you want to add some breakfast meat, you can nuke a slice of bacon in the microwave between 2 paper towels in about 45 seconds to a minute. Ooh! I have so much left over ham, I might just add ham next time!

Now, how easy was that?

No comments:

Post a Comment