Wednesday, August 19, 2009

CSA Pickup, plus Caponata

I decided to make Caponata, because I had an eggplant and more tomatoes than you can shake a stick at. I had never made it before so I went online, looked at many recipes, and then did my own thing based on what I remembered from Caponata of my Childhood (tm)

It was fabulous.

Caponata
1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced fairly small (too big and this will get oily)
3 medium sized tomatoes (I used mixed heirloom), diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 T capers, drained
10 (or more) black olives, pitted and chopped well
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T Italian Seasoning
about 2 T chopped fresh basil
pepper to taste
olive oil

Start with your burner on high. Pour olive oil into a saute pan until it covers the bottom of the pan. It may look like a lot but the eggplant is going to soak it up. Use really good olive oil because of this. When the oil is hot, add the eggplant and stir until all of the eggplant is coated. If you have to add more olive oil, do so. Turn down to medium-high and allow eggplant to cook for about 5 minutes.

Add the onions, garlic, italian seasoning, and basil and cook until onions are soft and beginning to get clear. Add the olives, capers, and tomatoes, and pepper. Stir well and allow to cook until tomatoes start to fall apart.

This is intended to be eaten cold with or without bread, but if you care to, you can also toss some with some pasta and eat it hot, then chill the rest.

Today we picked up our farm share. We did really well yet again!

10 tomatoes
1 box blackberries
1 box figs
4 ears corn
2 yellow squash
1 bunch of some kind of greens. I think these are sweet potato greens.
some kind of herb--maybe thyme?
1/2 dozen eggs
beans
salsa kit
sweet peppers

Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment